- Ph.D. in Ecology and Natural Resource Management (Soil Science); University of Bonn, Germany, and Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi.
- M. Sc. Agricultural Science and Resource Management in the Tropics and Subtropics (ARTS); University of Bonn, Germany.
- B.Sc. (Hons.) in Agricultural Technology; University for Development Studies, Tamale
- Climate change impact assessment, and adaptation
- Climate change and the urban poor
- Environmental quality assessment (heavy metal and pesticides pollution)
- Site Specific nutrient management
- Land-use / land-cover change on soil moisture, runoff and nutrients.
2022 - 2025: Co-Lead, Work Package 2, Transforming Institutions to Advance women leaders in Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (SISTARS); Lessons from Ghana and Kenya Funded by IDRC with an amount of 1.25 million Canadian Dollars (CAD $ 1.25million)
2022 - 2025: Ghana Team Lead, Microplastics and plastic-derived chemical contaminants in Africa: Implication on human health and the loss of aquatic biodiversity, funded by Jennifer Ward Oppenheimer (JWO) foundation (USD 6,931.19)
2021 - 2026: Team Member, Capacity Building in Aquatic and Environmental Health in West Africa. Funded by NORAD (20 million NOK/$2.4 million)
2020 - 2025: Team Member, Coastal Community Resilience to Climate and Diarrhea (C2R-CD). Funded by DANIDA ($1.8 million)
2019 - 2022: Team Member, Baden-Wuttemberg Stiftung GmbH (BWS) plus collaborative project, German-funded project.
2014 - 2017: Team Member, Utilization of organic waste to improve agricultural productivity in the Ga West Municipality, Greater Accra, Ghana, Food and Business Applied Research Fund (€296,309.10)
2014 - 2015: Team Member, Crude Oil Drilling: Onshore Environmental Assessment of the Jubilee oil Field in the Western Region of Ghana- ORID grant (GHC 85,797.17)
2014: Lead (Soil Condition), Development of National Sanitation Standards for Ghana. Funded by Ministry of Environment, Science, Innovation & Technology (MESIT)
2014 - 2019: Team Member, Adaptation at Scale in Semi-Arid Regions (ASSAR)/Collaborative Adaptation Research Initiative in Africa and Asia (CARIAA) and International Development Center (IDRC) (US$ 13,000,000)
2013 - 2015: Early warning system for climate change (CLIM-WARN); Partnership between UNDP and University of Ghana, implemented by IESS (2013 – 2015). Funded by German Government.
PhD Students' Supervision
- Agyeman Margaret: Climate change and cashew (Anacardium Occidentale) productivity and assessment of adaptation strategies in the Bono region of Ghana (On-going).
- Bosompem Ohene Asa: Carbon Sequestration and yield improvement in smallholder farm systems under a climate change in Mid Ghana (On-going).
- Anuga Samuel: Greenhouse gas (GGH) mitigation potential of climate-smart agriculture options promoted in climate-smart villages (CSVs) of Ghana. (On-going).
- Henry Kwabena Kokofu: Causes and effects of illegal mining in Ghana; Policy and legal perspectives (On-going).
- Jennifer Ayamga: Biophysical and Socioeconomic determinants of cropping systems production (Completed).
- Ademin Benjamin: Land use changes, adaptation strategies of farmers and food sustainability in the Aburi-Nsawam enclave within the southern forest savannah transition zone of Ghana (On-going).
- Omari Stephen: Empirical Analysis of vulnerability, adaptation responses and wellbeing of smallholder farmers to climate risks in Upper West Region, Ghana (Completed).
- Armah Nathaniel: Implication of Small scale mining on the environment and livelihoods of people within the East Akim Municipality area (On-going).
List of Publications
Modelling maize (Zea mays L.) productivity and impact of climate change on yield and nutrient utilization in sub-humid Ghana. Ecology and Development Series Bd. 87. ISSN 1864-0443
- Anuga, S.W., Gordon, C., Nukpezah, D., Fosu-Mensah, B.Y., Ahenkan, A. (2022). Climate-Smart Agriculture Approaches and Concepts for Food Systems Transformation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Realities and Myths. In: Leal Filho, W., Kovaleva, M., Popkova, E. (eds) Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security. World Sustainability Series. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-98617-9_14.
- Yirenya-Tawiah D, Annang, T., Ofori, BD, Fosu-Mensah, B.Y, Lawson, E.T., Yeboah, R., Owusu-Afriyie, K., Abudey, B.,Annan, T, Datsa, C. and Gordon, C. (2020). Urban Waste as a Resource for Development: Utilization of Organic Waste to Improve Agriculture Productivity in Accra, Ghana. In Hiroshan et al (Ed), Organic Waste Composting through Nexus Thinking: Practices, Policies, and Trends Springer, ISBN 978-3-030-36283-6, DOI 10.1007/978-3-030-36283-6, 123-145.
- Yirenya-Tawiah, D., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Gordon, C and Nukpezah Daniel (2017) Public health impact of Dam Re-optimisation and re-operation; the case of the lower Volta basin. Dams, Development and Downstream communities In: Ntiamoa-Baidu, Y., Ampomah, B. Y and Ofosu, E. A. (eds). implications for re-optimising the operations of the Akosombo and Kpong dams in Ghana. Digibooks Gh. Ltd., Tema, Ghana.
- MacCarthy, D. S., Vlek, P. L. G., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2012). The Response of Maize to N Fertilization in a Sub-humid Region of Ghana; Understanding the Processes using a Crop Simulation Model. In: J. Kihara, G. Hoogenboom and A. Bationo (eds.), Improving Soil Fertility Recommendation in Africa using Decision Support for Agro-technological Transfers (DS SAT), DOI 10, 1007/978 - 94 - 007 - 2960 - 5 - 5, Springer Science + Business Media B. V.
List of Peer Review Journal Articles
- MacCarthy, D. S., Adamtey, N., Freduah, B. S., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Ofosu-Budu, G. K. and Fliessbach, A. (2023). Modeling the effect of soil fertility management options on maize yield stability under variable climate in a sub-humid zone in Ghana. Frontiers. Sustain. Food Syst. 7:1132732. doi: 10.3389/fsufs.2023.1132732
- Doe, E.K., Attua, E. M., Obour, P. B., Quaye, A. K and Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2023). Soil health and synergy of ecological determinants of green cocoa productivity in different soil ecotypes in Ghana. Front. Sustain. Food Syst. 7:1169015. https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2023.1169015
- Botchie, R., Nukpezah, D., Fosu-Mensah, B. (2022). Assessing the Sustainability of Climate Change Response Measures to Farming Practices in an agricultural enclave in the Eastern Region of Ghana, West African Journal of Applied Ecology, 30 (2).
- Anuga, S.W., Gordon, C., Nukpezah, D., Fosu-Mensah, B.Y., (2022). Climate-Smart Agriculture: Greenhouse gas mitigation in climate-smart villages of Ghana. Environmental Sustainability, (Accepted).
- Acheamponga, J.O., Attuab, E. M., Mensah, M., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Roland Akuka Apambilla, R. A. and Doe, K. D. (2022). Livelihood, carbon and spatiotemporal land-use land-cover change in the Yenku forest reserve of Ghana, 2000–2020. International Journal of Applied Earth Observations and Geoinformation 112, 102938, 1-9.
- Doe, K. E., Attuab, E. M., Yiran, G. A. B., Obour, P. B., Owusu, K., Konlan, S., Amon-Armah, F., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Mensah. M., Rahn, E., Buun, C., Läderach, P. Geospatial classification of climate-induced cocoa cropping zones and drivers in Ghana, 2009-2018. Geojournal (under review)
- Doe, E. K., Attua, E. M., Dogbatse, J. A., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2022). Assessing the condition and capability of soils in cocoa districts of Ghana using geovisualization. Journal of Food Security 7, 10058, 1-12.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y*., Elvis D. Okoffo and Michael Mensah (2022). Assessment of farmers’ knowledge and pesticides management in cocoa production in Ghana. International journal of Advanced and Applied Sciences, 9(3), 100-110.
- Darko, G., Obiri-Yeboah, S., Takyi, S A., Amponsah, O., Borquaye, L. S., Lydia Otoo Amponsah, L. O., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2022). Urbanizing with or without nature: pollution effects of human activities on water quality of major rivers that drains in the Kumasi metropolis of Ghana. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 194(38), 1-18.
- Mensah, M., Villamor, G. B., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y*., Vlek. P.L.G (2021). Exploring the Gender-Specific Adaptive Responses to Climate Variability: Application of Grazing Game in the Semi-Arid Region of Ghana. MDPI Agriculture, 11,1048 1-20.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y*., Adjovu, S. M., Annang, T. A., Mensah, M. (2021). Assessing farmers’ indigenous knowledge of soil quality and soil fertility management practices in Ghana; A case study of crop farmers in the Ada West District. Applied and Natural Science, 13(3), 830-839.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y*., Ofori, A., Ofosuhene, M., Ofori-Attah, E., Nunoo, F. K. E., Tuffour, I., Gordon, C., Arhinful, D., Nyarko, A. K., Appiah-Opong, R. (2021). Bioaccumulation of Toxic Metals in Commercially Valuable Fish from the Western Region of Ghana. Universal Journal of Public Health, 9(5), 1-10.
- Ofosu, F., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y*., Nukpezah, D., Mensah, M. (2021). Concentrations of heavy metals in two fish species (Cynoscion regalis and Pomatomus saltatrix) from an oil drilling area in Western Coast of Ghana and public health risk assessment. Journal of Applied and Natural Science, 13(2), 520-529.
- MacCarthy, D. S., Adam, M., Freduah, B. S., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Ampim, P. A. Y., Mohammed, Ly, M., Traore, P. S., Adiku, S. G. K. (2021). Climate change impact and variability on cereal productivity among smallholder farmers under future production systems in West Africa. MDPI Sustainability 13(9), (5191), 1 – 22.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Adabie, D. F., Johnson, P. N. T and Mensah, M. (2021). Occupational and environmental health hazards associated with food processing and the use of personal protective equipment: A case study of Gari processing in southern Ghana. Journal of Applied and Natural Science. 13(1), 230 - 237.
- Ayamga, J., Pabi., O. Barnaba, A. B., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., and Codjoe, S. N. A. (2021). Annual and intra-annual climate variability and change in the Volta Delta, Ghana. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 193:233.
- Appiah-Opong, R., Ofori, A., Ofosuhene, M., Ofori-Attah, E., Nunoo, F. K.E., Darko, G., Tuffour, I., Gordon, C., Arhinful, D. K., Nyarko, A. K. and Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2021). Heavy metals concentration and pollution index (HPI) in drinking water along the southwest coast of Ghana. Journal of Applied Water Science 11(3), 1-10.
- Mensah, M. and Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2020). Agriculture and gender roles in the semi-arid region of Ghana. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, 28(1), 145 – 158.
- Mensah, M., Vlek, P. L., & Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2020). Gender and climate change linkages in the semi-arid region of Ghana. GeoJournal, 1-14.
- Fosu-Mensah, B.Y., Manchadi, A and Vlek, P. L. G (2019). Impacts of climate change and climate variability on maize yield under rainfed conditions in the sub-humid zone of Ghana: A scenario analysis using APSIM. West Africa Journal of Ecology, vol 27(1).
- Adigbli, D. M., Anning, A. K., Adomako, J.s K., and Fosu-Mensah B. Y. (2018). Effects of Broussonetia papyrifera invasion and land use on vegetation characteristics in a tropical forest of Ghana. J. Forestry. Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11676-018.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y, Ofori, A., Ofosuhene, M., Ofori-Attah, E., Nunoo, F. K.E., Darko, G., Tuffour, I., Gordon, C., Arhinful, D. K., Nyarko, A. K. and Appiah-Opong, Regina (2018). Assessment of Heavy Metal Contamination and Distribution in Surface Soils and Plants along the West Coast of Ghana West Africa Journal of Ecology (SI).
- Abass, R., Mensah, A., & Fosu-Mensah, B. (2018). The Role of Formal and Informal Institutions in Smallholder Agricultural Adaptation: The Case of Lawra and Nandom Districts, Ghana. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 26(SI).
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Addae, E., Yirenya-Tawiah, D. and Nyame F.(2017). Heavy metals concentration and distribution in soils and vegetation at Korle Lagoon area in Accra, Ghana., Cogent Environmental Science (3) 1405887. 1-14
- Okoffo, E. D., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. and Gordon, C. (2017). Contamination levels of organophosphorus and synthetic pyrethroid pesticides in cocoa beans from Ghana. Food Control, 73 (2017) 1371-1378.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. and Mensah, M. (2016). The effect of phosphorus and nitrogen fertilizers on grain yield, nutrient uptake and use efficiency of two maize (Zea mays L.) varieties under rain fed condition on Haplic Lixisol in the forest-savannah transition zone of Ghana. Environmental Systems Research, 5 (22), 1- 17.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Okoffo., E. D., Darko, G. and Gordon, C. (2016b). Assessment of organochlorine pesticide residues in soils and drinking water sources from cocoa farms in Ghana. SpringerPlus, 5 (869), 1-13.
- Okoffo, E. D., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., and Gordon, C (2016a). Persistent organochlorine pesticide residues in cocoa beans from Ghana, a concern for public health. International Journal of Food Contamination, 3 (5), 1-11
- Okoffo, E. D., Denkyirah, E. K., Adu, D. T. and Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2016). A Double-Hurdle Model estimation of cocoa farmers’ willingness to pay for crop insurance in Ghana. SpringerPlus, 5 (873), 1-19.
- Adama, M. Esena, R. Fosu-Mensah, B. and Yirenya-Tawiah, D. (2016). Heavy Metal Contamination of Soils around a Hospital Waste Incinerator Bottom Ash Dumps Site. Journal of Environmental and Public Health, (2016), 1-6 Article ID.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Okoffo., E. D., Darko, G. and Gordon, C. (2016a). Organophosphorus pesticide residues in soils and drinking water sources from cocoa producing areas in Ghana. Environmental System Research, 5 (10), 1-12.
- Okoffo, E. D., Mensah, M. and Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2016). Pesticides exposure and the use of Personal Protective Equipment by cocoa farmers in Ghana. Environmental system Research, 5 (17), 1-15.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Okoffo, E. D. and Mensah, M. (2016). Synthetic Pyrethroids Pesticide Residues in Soils and Drinking Water Sources from Cocoa Farms in Ghana. Environment and Pollution, 5 (1), 60-72.
- Padgham, J.,Abubakari, A., Ayivor, J., Dietrich, K., Fosu-Mensah B., Gordon, C., Habtezion, S., Lawson, E., Mensah, A., Nukpezah, D., Ofori, B., Piltz, S., Sidibé, A., Sissoko, M., Totin, E., Traoré, S., Dazé, A., and Echeverría, D. (2015) Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in the Semi-Arid Regions of West Africa. ASSAR working paper.
- Wahabu, S., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. and Nyame, F. K. (2015). Impact of Charcoal Production on Physical and Chemical Properties of Soil in the Central Gonja District of the Northern Region, Ghana. Journal of Environment and Natural Resources Research, 5 (3), 11 - 18.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Vlek, P. L. G., Günther, M. and Mensah M. (2015). The Influence of Azolla pinnataon Floodwater Chemistry, Grain Yield and Nitrogen Uptake of Rice in Dano, Southwestern Burkina Faso. Journal of Agricultural Science, 7 (8), 118 - 130.
- Mensah, M., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. and Yirenya-Tawiah, D. (2014). Assessing public perception on beach quality for Ecotourism development; A case study of Kokrobite beach in the Greater Accra Region, Ghana. Journal of Environment and Earth Science, 4 (11), 58 – 66.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., McCarthy, D. S. Vlek, P. L. G. and Safo, E. Y. (2012). Simulating impact of seasonal climatic variation on the response of maize (Zea mays L.) to inorganic fertilizer in sub-humid Ghana. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems Journal, 94 (2), 255-271.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Vlek, P. L. G., and MacCarthy, D. S. (2012). Farmers' Perception and Adaptation to Climate Change - A Case Study in Sekyedumase District in Ghana. 2012, Journal of Environment, Development and Sustainability, 14 (4), 495–505.
- Rafia Afroz, Rulia Akhtar, AZ Ibrahim, MM Alam, C Siwar, AH Jaafar, B Talib, KO Salleh, Siwar, B Talib, M Mokhtar, ME Toriman, B. Y Fosu-Mensah, et al (2012). Micro-level analysis of farmers adaptation to climate change in Southern Africa. Asian Journal of Agricultural Research, 11 (4) 130-135.
- Dei, H. K., Fosu, B. Y. Fordjour, G. E. and Otchere, O. (2002). Processed Product from Cassava and Blood (PPCB); an alternative low-cost feed for Broiler Chickens. Development Spectrum, 2(1), 58-67.
- Aryee, A. A., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. and Nukpezah, D. (2017). Aaron An assessment of heavy metals in contaminated surface soil at auto-mechanic workshops within the Accra metropolis, Ghana. Conference paper; Dialogue on Sustainability and Environmental Management in Accra, Ghana. Feb.15-16 2017.
- ESCI 612: Forest Resource Management
- ESCI 701: Environmental management
- ESSC 602: Development and Sustainability
- ESSC 609: Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture
- ESCI 702: Emerging Environmental Issues for the 21st century
- CCSD 605: Environmental sustainability and impact Evaluation