Dr. Koranteng is an environmental scientist with broad interest in Environmental quality analyses. His special research interests focus on pesticides and heavy metals in environmental matrices, as well as microbial, physico-chemical and organoleptic qualities of fresh water resources. Over the years, he researched considerably on the quality of water delivered by a technology designed to solve rural water supply problem in southern Ghana (Gravity-Piped Water System). Dr Koranteng was also involved in various researches in the Volta River Basin in Ghana. As a water quality expert, he was the team lead in investigating the effect of water quality on prevalence and survival of snail hosts of schistosoma pathogen in the Volta Lake. He is currently investigating the incidence and health risk posed by indiscriminate use of pesticides along the Afram arm of the Volta Lake. Dr. Koranteng has consulted for institutions including the Ghana Environmental Protection Agency and the Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA) in Ghana. He is a section author of the 2016 Ghana’s state of the Environment report as well as a discussant of the final document towards the development of the Ghana Environmental Standards. Dr. Koranteng previously lectured at the Department of Plant and Environmental Biology and currently, he teaches post-graduate courses and supervises graduate theses at the IESS.
- PhD, Botany (Environmental Biology option), University of Ghana, 2015
- MPhil, Environmental Science Programme, University of Ghana, 2003
- B.Sc.(Hons.) Botany/Zoology & Diploma in Education; University of Cape Coast 1996
- Water Quality and Water Resources Management
- Pesticides and Heavy Metals in Environmental Matrices
- Climate Change Impact and Water Resources Utilization
Pesticide pollutants of the Afram Arm of the Volta Lake. This project is conducting risk analyses of pyrethroid, organophosphate and organochlorine pesticides in the Afram aquatic ecosystem as well as agricultural products along the immediate banks of the River.
- Magna, E.K., Koranteng, S.S., Donkor, A. & Gordon C. (2021). Health Risk Assessment and Levels of Heavy Metals in Farmed Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) from the Volta Basin of Ghana. Hindawi Journal of Chemistry. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/2273327.
- Magna, E.K., Koranteng, S.S., Donkor, A. & Gordon C. (2021). Organochlorine Pesticides and Polychlorinated Biphenyls in Sediment Impacted by Cage Aquaculture in the Volta Basin of Ghana. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology https://doi.org/10.1007/s00244-021-00904-5
- Magna, E.K., Koranteng, S.S., Donkor, A. & Gordon C. (2021). Assessment of organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls in water from cage aquaculture farms in the Volta Lake in Southern Ghana. West African Journal of Applied Ecology. 29(2), 75 – 86
- Narh, S., Darko, A. D., Koranteng, S. S., Tettey, A., Agyei, K. M. & Acquah, D. (2020). Quantifying Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Irrigated Rice Production Systems in Ghana. Journal of Environmental Protection. 938-953. https://www.scirp.org/journal/jep
- Gbogbo, F., Rainhill, J. E., Koranteng, S. S., Owusu, E. H., & Dorleku, W. P. (2020). Health Risk Assessment for Human Exposure to Trace Metals Via Bushmeat in Ghana. Biological trace element research, 196(2), 419-429
- Nukpezah, D., Fahad, A.R., and Koranteng, S.S. (2017). The impact of small scale mining on irrigation water quality in Asante Akim Central Municipality of Ghana. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, Volume 25(2), 2017.
- Koranteng, S.S; Darko D.A; Ameka, G.K; and Owusu E.O. (2017). Residues and Risk Assessment of Organochlorine Pesticides in Surface Sediment of Afram River of Ghana. International Journal of Research in Chemistry and Environment. 7(1): 30-37
- Koranteng, S.S; Ameka, G.K; and Owusu E.O. (2016). Drawdown Farming and Pesticide Residue Levels of the Afram River in Ghana. International Journal of Environmental Monitoring and Analysis. 2016; 4(3): 102-109. doi: 10.11648/j.ijema.20160403.16
- Gordon, C., Koranteng, S. S. et al (2013). West Africa – Water Resources Vulnerability using a Multidimensional Approach: A Case Study of Volta Basin; Understanding and Addressing Threats to Essential Resources. Journal of Climate Vulnerability. Pp. 283-309. Elsevier Inc., Academic Press. ISBN: 9780123847034.
- Koranteng, S.S. and Amoah, C.M. (2009). Bacteriological Quality and possible Healtheffects of Gravity-Piped Water in Hohoe District of Ghana. Accepted for publication to Ghana Journal of Science. Vol. 49, June, 2009.
- Amoah, C.M. and Koranteng, S.S. (2008). Sources and Quality of Drinking Water of the Inhabitants in the Lower Volta River Basin of Ghana. In New Developments on Health, Agricultural Resources and Socio-Economic Activities in the Volta Basin, Ghana. Amoah. C. M., Adiku, S.G.K. and Owusu, E.O. (Eds.) pp 27-34. ISBN: 99880-0237-8.
Technical reports/Policy briefs
- Koranteng, S.S. and Darko, D.A (2011). The E-waste Menace in Ghana. Information Brief series of IESS, University of Ghana, Legon.
- S.S. Koranteng (2010). Water Quality and Removal Efficiency of Gravity-Piped System in Hohoe District, Ghana. (Technical Report submitted to VBRP)
- Koranteng, S.S. and Darko, D.A (2012). Indoor Air Pollution; Sources, Health Effects and Control in Ghana. Information Brief series of IESS, University of Ghana, Legon
- Darko, D.A and Koranteng, S.S. (2011). Fertilizer use and Nitrate contamination of water sources. Information Brief series of IESS, University of Ghana, Legon
- Darko, D.A and Koranteng, S.S. (2012). Effect of Soil Salinity on Agriculture and Environment. Information Brief series of IESS, University of Ghana, Legon
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA). 29th November – 10th December, 2021.TH Koln (university of Applied Science) Institute for technology and Resources Management in the Tropics and Subtropics (ITT). Online course.
- National Stake Holders’ Consultation on beaching of dead fish and melon-headed whales on Ghanaian coasts. Alisa Hotel, Accra Ghana. 1st June, 2021
- Next Generation Thought Leaders Conference on Environment and Sustainability, IESS, University of Ghana - 28-29th July, 2021
- “Waste Management in an International context”- Lecture delivered to students of University of Ghana and the University of Applied Forest Science, Rottenburg, Germany as part of a Collaborative e-learning project on Joint micro-business and micro-project development with waste material. December 10, 2020.
- National Conference on: The launch of Development of Ghana’s National Adaptation Plan (NAP). Alisa Hotel, Accra Ghana. 16th June 2020
- ESCI 601: Water, Air and Soil Quality
- ESCI 607: Environmental Chemistry
- Biol. 202: Cell Biology and Genetics
- Biol. 201: Introductory Plant Morphology
- Biol. 101: Interactions in Nature
- Biol. 104: Growth and Development of Flowering Plants