Institute for Environmenta and Sanitation Studies
College of Basic and Applied Sciences
University of Ghana - Legon
Year of Employment: 1986
Prof Chris Gordon is an Environmental Scientist with many years of experience as a limnologist and aquatic resource management advisor, with special interests in the biodiversity and functioning of coastal, wetland and freshwater systems. As an academician and a consultant, he has in-depth and extensive knowledge of ecosystem functioning and conservation in the various ecosystems he has worked on, such as the Volta River Basin, aquaculture, coastal wetlands and large rivers and estuaries. Prof Gordon has played an active role in biodiversity conservation and ecosystem management initiatives, particularly in water, coastal wetland and catchment basin conservation issues. He has considerable experience working with international bodies such as the GEF, UNEP, FAO, UNDP, USAID, DFID (former ODA), DANIDA, IDRC, DGIS, as well as national and international NGOs. Prof Gordon has provided guidance on various national policies that include the fisheries, aquatic resources and their management, general wetland and general biodiversity conservation issues, and more recently climate change issues to government and non-governmental organisations. He is the Chair of the Ghana Standards Authority Technical Committee on Environment and Lead for the preparation of the Ghana State of the Environment Report.
- B.Sc. (hons.) Zoology (Entomology); University of Ghana
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Limnology; UNESCO/Austrian Academy of Sciences
- M.Sc. Zoology; University of Ghana
- Ph.D. Human Environmental Sciences; King’s College, London
- Research into Use
- Environmental Governance
- Water Resource Management
- Ecotoxicology and Aquatic Environments
- Climate Change Policy and Adaptation
- Mangroves and Coastal Systems
- Distribution of benthic invertebrates in the Volta,
- Colonisation rates of Aufwuchs organisms,
- The use of invertebrates as indicators of pollution,
Current Research Projects
- Capacity building to address climate change in Bangladesh and Ghana with special reference to conservation of saline and drought tolerant species. DelPHE GBP 90,000. Ghana Partner
- Understanding the Findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fourth Assessment Report “Climate Change 2007” – Integrating Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation in Development Planning EU-ACP € 1,250,000 Three Years 2009 – 2012 (Principal Investigator –West Africa Region)
- National Climate Change and Development Research Diagnostic, CDKN/DFID GBP 24,000 2011
- Building Capacity to meet the Climate Change Challenge (B4C) –Ghana: A partnership between University of Ghana and the Open Society Institute. The Open Society Institute US$ 1.640,000 Three years 2011-2014 Eastern Region (Team leader Water and Water Resources Work Package)
Pipeline Research Project
- Climate Change and Poverty EU Framework 7
- Reoptimization of Operations of Akosombo & Kpong Dams on the Volta River in Ghana to Restore Downstream Livelihoods and Ecosystems. African Water Partnership/African Development Bank
- Aboagye Kumi: Water Quality in Teshie
- Baniba:. Factors influencing the selection of water source in Jasikan district and implication on the health status of rural communities
- Addo: Monitoring Dust Pollutants Emissions Associated with Cement Production Activities in Ghana: Modelling Pollutant Concentrations and their Estimated Effects on the Public
Addo, M.A., Darko, E.O. Gordon, C., Davor, P., Ameyaw, F., Affum, H., Gbadago, J.K. Dzide S. (2016) Human Health Risk Assessment of Airborne Trace Elements for Human Receptors in the vicinity of the Diamond Cement Factory, Volta Region, Ghana. International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning. Vol. 11 (4) 522-536
Ahmed, A.,Lawson, E. T., Mensah, A., Gordon, C., & Padgham, J. (2016). Adaptation to climate change or non-climatic stressors in semi-arid regions? Evidence of gender differentiation in three agrarian districts of GhanaEnvironmental Development,
Ayivor, J.S., Pabi, O., Ofori, B.D., Yirenya-Taiwiah, D.R. & Gordon, C. (2016). Agro-Diversity in the Forest-Savannah Transition Zone of Ghana: A Strategy for Food Security against Climatic and Socio-Economic Stressors. Environment and Natural Resources Research; 6(1) 1-12. doi:10.5539/enrr.v6n1p1
Bariagabre A.S., AsanteI. K., Gordon C. and Ananng, Ted Y. (2016): Cactus Pear (Opuntia ficus-indica L): A Future Asset for Sustainability of Drylands in Northern Ethiopia. International Journal of Science, Environment and Technology, Vol. 5, No 3. (2016) pp: 846 – 860.
Bariagabre A S., Asante I. K., Gordon C. and Ananng Ted Y. (2016): Cactus Pear (Opuntia ficus-indica L.) a valuable crop for restoration of degraded soils in Northern Ethiopia. Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare. Vol. 6, No. 8. (2016). pp: 11-18.
Borchardt, D., Gordon, C., Alcamo, J., Dannisøe, J. G., Müller, & Mensah, A. (2016). Solutions to the Water Quality Challenge: A Preliminary Review, In UNEP, A Snapshot of the World’s Water Quality: Towards a Global Assessment (pp. 81-93), United Nations Environment Programme: Nairobi.
Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Okoffo., E. D., Darko, G. and Gordon, C. (2016a). Organophosphorus pesticide residues in soils and drinking water sources from cocoa producing areas in Ghana. Environmental System Research, 5 (10), 1-12.
Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Okoffo., E. D., Darko, G. and Gordon, C. (2016b). Assessment of organochlorine pesticide residues in soils and drinking water sources from cocoa farms in Ghana. SpringerPlus, 5 (869), 1-13.
Gordon, C., Mensah, A.M. & Nikiema, J. (2016). Water Quality and Public Health, In Williams, T.O., Mul, M.L., Biney, C.A., Smakhtin, V. (Eds.), Volta River Basin: Water for Food, Economic Growth and Environment (pp. 214-227), Routledge: London.
Mensah, A. & Gordon, C. (2016). Water pollution in River Basins: River Basin 3-Volta, In UNEP, A Snapshot of the World’s Water Quality: Towards a Global Assessment (pp. 59-62), United Nations Environment Programme: Nairobi.
Okoffo, E. D., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., and Gordon, C (2016). Persistent organochlorine pesticide residues in cocoa beans from Ghana, a concern for public health. International Journal of Food Contamination, 3 (5), 1-11.
Dankyi, E., Carboo, D., Gordon, C., Fomsgaard I. S (2015) Application of the QuEChERS procedure and LC–MS/MS for the assessment of neonicotinoid insecticide residues in cocoa beans and shells. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis Volume 44, Pages 149–157
Ofori,B. D., Ayivor,J. S., Pabi,O., Gordon C., (2015) Agroecological Niches as Ecosystem-Based Adaptive Option to Environmental Change in the Forest-Savanna Transition Zone of Ghana. Journal of sustainable Development 8, (9), 281
Habtezion, S., Adelekan, I., Aiyede,E., Biermann,F., Fubara, M., Gordon, C., Gyekye, K., Kasimbazi, E., Kibugi, R., Lawson, E.T., Mensah, A., Mubaya, C., Olorunfemi, F., Paterson, A., Tadesse, D., Usman, R., Zondervan R., (2015) Earth System Governance in Africa: knowledge and capacity needs Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 14, 198-205
Lawson, E.T.; Gordon, C., Mensah, A., Atipoe, E (2015) Developing Tools for Community-Based Environmental Education for Migrant Children and Youth in Ghana Journal of Education and Learning, 4(2) 6-18
- Tanner, T., Mensah, A., Lawson, E.T.,Gordon, C., Godfrey-Wood, T.,Cannon, T., (2014) Political Economy of Climate Compatible Development: Artisanal Fisheries and Climate Change in Ghana IDS Working Paper 446. 30pp
- Addo M.A., Darko E.O., Gordon C, Davor P, Gbadago JK, Faanu A, Kpeglo, D.,4, Ameyaw, F., (2014) Assessment of airborne 238U and 232Th exposure and dust load impact on people living in the vicinity of a cement factory in Ghana. Radiat Prot Environ 2014;37: 120-31
- Ofori, B. D., Nukpezah, D., Ayivor, J. S., Lawson, E. T., & Gordon C. (2014). Leadership, local knowledge and water management: lessons from fringe communities of the Kogyae Strict Nature Reserve, Ghana International Journal of Development and Sustainability. 3 (2): 353-370
- Dankyi, E., Gordon, C., Carboo, D. Fomsgaard, I. S. (2014) Quantification of neonicotinoid insecticide residues in soils from cocoa plantations using a QuEChERS extraction procedure and LC-MS/MS, Science of The Total Environment. 499:276–283. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.08.051
Ayivor,J. S., Gordon, C., Ntiamoa-Baidu Y., (2013) Protected area management and livelihood conflicts in Ghana: a case study of Digya National Park. Parks 19 (1) 37-50
- Tompkins, E. L., Mensah, A., King, L., Long, T. K., Lawson, E. T., Hutton, C. W., Hoang, V. A., Gordon, C., Fish, M., Dyer, J., Bood, N., (2013) An investigation of the evidence of benefits from climate compatible development Sustainability Research Institute 27pp. , London, GB (Sustainability Research Institute Paper, 44)
- Addo, M.A., Darko, E.O., Gordon, C. Nyarko, B.J.B., (2013a). Water quality analysis and human risk assessment of groundwater from open wells in thhe vicinity of a cement factory at Akporkloe, South-eastern Ghana. e-Journal of Science and Technology Vol 8 (4): 15-30
- Addo M. A., Darko E. O., Gordon C., Nyarko B. J. B. (2013c) Contamination of soils and loss of productivity of Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L.) caused by cement dust pollution Int. J. Res. Chem. Environ. 3 (1): 272-282
- Gordon, C., Nukpezah, D., Lawson, E.T., Ofori, B. D., Yirenya-Tawiah, D., Pabi, O., Ayivor, J. S., Koranteng, S., Darko, D. & Mensah, A. M. (2013). West Africa - water resources vulnerability using a multidimensional approach: case study of Volta Basin. In Roger A. Pielke Climate vulnerability: understanding and addressing threats to essential resources. (pp. 283-309). Waltham, Massachusetts: Academic Press
- Addo M. A., E. O. Darko, C. Gordon and B. J. B. Nyarko (2013b). “Evaluation of radiological hazard parameters in building materials used in a rural area of Ghana”. Archives of Physics Research, 4 (3):42-50
- M. A. Addo., E. O. Darko, C. Gordon, B. J. B. Nyarko (2013c). “Heavy metal contamination in soil and cassava harvested near a cement processing facility in the Volta Region, Ghana: Implications of health risk for the population living in the vicinity”. E-Journal of Science and Technology 3(8), 71-83
- M. A. Addo., E. O. Darko, C. Gordon, B. J. B. Nyarko (2013e). “A preliminary study of natural radioactivity ingestion from cassava grown and consumed by inhabitants around a cement production facility in the Volta Region, Ghana”. International Journal of Environmental Sciences Vol. 3. No. 6, 2312-2323
- Lawson, E.T, Gordon, C., and Schluchter, W. 2012 The Dynamics of Poverty-Environment Linkages in the Coastal Zone of Ghana, Ocean & Coastal Management 67: 30-38
- Gordon, C., Linstead, C. Moss, B., Leah, R., Kyerematen, R., Owusu, E.H, Annang, T., Maltby, E., Bissau, M., and Ampomah, B (2012) Tool kits for the Sustainable Management of Ghana’s Riverine Biodiversity. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, Vol. 20 (3): 11 – 34
- Ayivor, J. S. and Gordon, C. (2012) Impact of Land Use on River Systems in Okyeman Traditional Area of the Eastern Region, Ghana. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, Vol. 20 (3): 83 – 96
- Addo M. A., E.O. Darko, C. Gordon, B.J.B. Nyarko, J.K. Gbadago (2012a). “Heavy metal concentrations in road deposited dust at Ketu-South District, Ghana”. International Journal of Science and Technology, 2, (1): 28-39
- Kyerematen, R., and Gordon, C. (2012) Aquatic Insect Fauna of Three River Systems in the Akyem Abuakwa Traditional area of The Eastern Region of Ghana. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, Vol. 20 (3): 73 – 82
- Ansa-Asare, O. D. and Gordon, C. (2012) Water quality assessment of Densu, Birim and Ayensu rivers in the Okyeman Area. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, Vol. 20 (3): 53-64
- Ayivor, J. S. and Gordon, C. (2012) Watershed Disturbance and its Potential Effects on River Systems in the Okyeman Traditional Area of Ghana: The Case of Atewa Range Forest Reserve. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, Vol. 20 (3): 97 -108
- Addo, M. A., Darko, E. O., Gordon, C., Nyarko, B. J. B., Gbadago, J. K., Nyarko, E., Affum, H. A. and Botwe, B. O. 2012 Evaluation of Heavy Metals Contamination of Soil and Vegetation in the Vicinity of a Cement Factory in the Volta Region, Ghana. International Journal of Science and Technology 2 (1): 40 – 50
- Ayivor, J., Gordon, C., Adomako, J., Ntiamoa-Baidu, Y. 2011 Challenges of managing forest reserves: Case study of Atewa rangeforest reserve, Ghana Nature & Faune25 (2): 56-63
2001 - 2010
- Gordon, C, Jallow, A., Tweneboah, E., Ayivor, J. S., Mensah, A. M., 2010 Food Security and Natural Resources management: Overview on Climate Change Implications for Africa, Nature & Faune25 (1): 10-16
- Lawson, E. T., Schluchter, W and Gordon C. 2010 Using the paired comparison methodology to assess environmental values in the coastal zone of Ghana. Journal of Coastal Conservation 14: 231-238
- Gordon, C, Mensah, A. M., Ayivor, J. S., Tweneboah, E., 2009 The Application of the Ecosystem Approach to Mangrove management: Lessons for Ghana, Nature & Faune24 (1)
- Tockner, K. Bunn, S. E. Gordon, C. Naiman, R. J. Quinn, G. P. & Stanford, J. A. 2008 Flood Plains: critically threatened ecosystems. In Aquatic Ecosystems – Trends and Global Prospects (ed.) Polunin, N.V.C. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 482p
- Gordon, C. 2007 The University of Ghana: Strategic institutional development in the South. In Nuffic: A Changing Landscape'. http://www.nuffic.nl/pdf/os/em/gordon.pdf
- Gordon, C., & Ibe, C., 2007 Land Based Sources of Pollution in West Africa: Current status and trends State of the Environment on issues related to the protection of the marine environment from land based activities. UNEP-GPA-LBA
- Gordon C. 2006 Background Paper for The Multi-stakeholder consultation process for dams development in Ghana. http://new.unep.org/dams/files/Country%20Dialogues/BackgroundStudyGhana.pdf
- Matos, N. and Gordon, C. 2005 Opportunities and Challenges for research in Sub-saharan Africa in an Era of Globalisation. Presented at the First National Forum on Research, Science and Technology, Accra, Ghana 2004
- Mensah, A., Tweneboah, E. Gordon, C. 2004 Towards Regional Capacity Building for Environmental Assessment and Management in West Africa. Proceedings of a workshop on: Regional Training for environmental Assessment and Management in West Africa, Accra, Ghana. 6-7 May 2004.
- Battley, Gordon, C., P. F., Poot, M., Wiersma, P., Ntiamoa-Baidu, Y. and Piersma, T., 2003 Social Foraging by Waterbirds in Shallow Coastal Lagoons in Ghana. Waterbirds26 (1): 26- 34,2003
- Gordon, C., 2002 Aquatic Resource Management and Freshwater Ecosystems in West Africa. In Crisman, T., Chapman, L., Chapman, F. and Kaufmann, L. (eds.) Conservation, Ecology, and Management of African Fresh Waters FW University of Florida Press, Gainesville Florida 544p
- Dankwa, H. R. & Gordon C. (2002) The fish and fisheries of the Lower Volta Mangrove swamps in Ghana. African Journal of Science and Technology, Science and Engineering Series 3 (1): 25-32
- Diop, E.S., Gordon, C., Semesi, A.K., Soumare, A., Diallo, A., Guisse, A., Diouf, M., & Ayivor,J.S. 2001 Mangroves of Africa in Mangrove Ecosystems: Function and Management L. D. de Larceda (ed.) Springer-Verlag, Berlin 292pp
1989 - 2000
- Gordon, C., 2000 Some observations on the birds of the Amansuri wetlands, Ghana. Ostrich 71 (1):
- Gordon, C., 2000 Hyper-saline Lagoons as conservation habitats: macro invertebrates at Muni Lagoon, Ghana Biodiversity and Conservation9 (4): 465-478
- Gordon, C., Ntiamoa-Baidu, Y. & Ryan, J. M., 2000 The Muni-Pomadze Ramsar site Biodiversity and Conservation9 (4): 447-464
- Thorne, R., Williams, P., & Gordon, C., 2000 The macro-invertebrates of a polluted stream in Ghana. Journal of Freshwater Ecology15 (2): 209-217
- Craig A.J.F.K. and Gordon C. (eds.) 2000. Proceedings of the Ninth Pan-African Ornithological Congress, Ostrich71(1–2).
- Gordon, C. and Amatekpor, J.K. (eds.) 1999 The Sustainable Integrated Development of the Volta Basin in Ghana. VBRP, Legon 159 p
- Gordon, C., 1999 Research activities of organisations working the Volta Basin. In Gordon, C. and Amatekpor, J.K. (eds.) The Sustainable Integrated Development of the Volta Basin in Ghana. VBRP, Legon 159 p
- Gordon, C., 1999 An Overview of the Fish and Fisheries of the Volta Basin. In Gordon, C. and Amatekpor, J.K. (eds.) The Sustainable Integrated Development of the Volta Basin in Ghana. VBRP, Legon 159 p
- Finlayson, C M., Gordon, C., Ntiamoa-Baidu, Y., Tumbulto, J., & Storrs, M 1998 Hydrobiology of the Songor and Keta Lagoons: Implications for Wetland Management in Ghana Environmental Research Institute of the Supervising Scientist, Australia 165 p
- Gordon, C., 1998 The State of the coastal and marine environment of Ghana. In Ibe, C. & Zabi, S.G. (eds.) State of the Coastal and Marine Environment of the Gulf of Guinea. UNIDO/UNDP/GEF CEDA 158p
- Gordon, C., 1998 The zooplankton of the Thames Tideway. in M.J. Attrill and M. Trett (eds.) A rehabilitated estuarine ecosystem. The Thames Estuary, its environment and ecology Chapman and Hall. London
- Piersma, T. Ntiamoa-Baidu, Y., Gordon, C. Wiersma, P., Battley, P. Poot, M. & Nuoh, A.A. 1995 Waterbird Ecology and Management of Coastal Wetlands in Ghana. Wildlife Department/GWS/Netherlands Institute of Sea Research NIOZ report 6 105p (Sections 3, 4, 5, 6.1 – 3, and 9)
- Gordon, C., 1992 Environmental considerations for African Development Planning: the case of large dams. In Aryeetey, E. (ed.) Planning for Growth and Development in Africa. UNDP/ISSER Accra, 518p.
- Gordon. C., 1991 Micro fisheries of small water bodies in Africa: An annotated bibliography. International Development Research Centre MR 292e 56p
- Gordon, C., 1987 The coastal lagoons of Ghana. In M. J. Burgis and J. J Symoens (eds.) African Wetlands and Shallow Water Bodies. ORSTOM 211, Paris 650pp
- Gordon. C., 1998 Mass Transport of Major Solutes and Sediments by the Volta River, Ghana Verhandlungen des Internationalen Verein Limnologie 26
- Rubin, J., Gordon, C., & Amatekpor J. K. 1998 Causes and consequences of mangrove deforestation in the Volta Estuary, Ghana: Some recommendations for ecosystem rehabilitation Marine Pollution Bulletin37 (8-12): 441-449
- Ntiamoa-Baidu, Y., Piersma, T., Wiersma, P., Poot, M., Battley, P. & Gordon, C. 1997. Water depth selection, daily feeding routines and diets of waterbirds in coastal lagoons in Ghana Ibis140: 89 – 103
- Gordon. C., Bark, A.W. & Bailey, R.G 1993 The effect of fibre on the feeding behaviour and efficiency of estuarine plankton in the Thames Tideway Verhandlungen des Internationalen Verein Limnologie . 25: 988-990.
- Gordon, C., & Kapetsky, J.M. 1991 Land use planning for aquaculture: a West African case study. World Soil Resources Reports68:109-119,
- Gordon, C., 1989 Prawn culture in Ghana. NAGA Journal of the International Centre for Living Aquatic Marine Resources 12 (1): 14
- Gordon, C., 1989 Fishing in small water bodies: the case of the Amansuri wetlands. In Giasson, M., and Gaudet, J. L. (eds.) Selected papers. Symposium on the Development and Management of Fisheries in small water bodies. FAO Fisheries Report 425 190p
- Gordon, C., 1989 The limnology of the Amansuri wetlands. Nigerian Field54:153-15
Teaching in last three years
- BIOL 318 Introduction to Limnology and Oceanography
- ZOOL 409 Freshwater Zoology
- ZOOL 418 Limnology