Senior Research Fellow
- Ph.D in Ecology and Natural Resource Management (Soil Science); University of Bonn, Germany and Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi.
- M. Sc. Agricultural Science and Resource Management in the Tropics and Subtropics (ARTS); University of Bonn, Germany.
- B.Sc. (Hons.) in Agricultural Technology; University for Development Studies, Tamale
- Climate change impact assessment, adaptation and poverty reduction
- Climate change and the urban poor
- Site Specific nutrient management
- Soil degradation and environmental pollution
- Land-use / land-cover change on soil moisture, runoff and nutrients
Current Research Projects and Activities
- Early warning system for climate change (CLIM-WARN); Partnership between UNDP and University of Ghana, implemented by IESS (2013 – 2015). Funded by German Government.
- Crude oil drilling: Onshore environmental impact assessment of the Jubilee oil field of the Western region of Ghana. Funded by ORID, University of Ghana (2014 – 2016).
- Re-optimizing of operations of the Akosombo and Kpong Dams on the Volta River in Ghana to restore downstream livelihood and ecosystem: A collaborative project with the National Heritage Institute (USA) and Ghana Water Resource Commission.- Funded by Africa Development Bank (2013 -2014).
- Development of National Sanitation Standards for Ghana. Funded by Ministry of Environment, Science, Innovation and Technology (MESIT) (2014)
- Utilization of Organic Waste for Improvement of Agricultural Productivity (UOWIAP). -Funded by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Netherlands, through NWO-WOTRO
Graduate Students supervision (M.Phil)
- Adigbli David Yao Mawuli: Canopy Disturbance Effects On Alien Plant Invasion in the Afram Headwaters Forest Reserve, Ghana: Ecological and Economic Implications (Ongoing).
- Otchere Jesus Christ: Environmental Effects Of Palm Oil And Coconut Oil Processing; A Study At Twifo Praso And Nyamedom In The Central Region (Ongoing).
- Agyapong Wireko : Assessment of the impact of land use / land cover changes and other socioeconomic activities on the quality of water of Lake Bosomtwe in the Ashanti Region (Ongoing).
List of Publications
- Elvis Dartey Okoffo, Elisha Kwaku Denkyirah, Derick Taylor Adu and Benedicta Yayra Fosu-Mensah (2016). A Double-Hurdle Model estimation of cocoa farmers’ willingness to pay for crop insurance in Ghana. Journal of SpringerPlus (Accepted).
- Benedicta Yayra Fosu-Mensah, Elvis Dartey Okoffo, Godfred Darko and Christopher Gordon (2016). Assessment of organochlorine pesticide residues in soils and drinking water sources from cocoa farms in Ghana. Journal of SpringerPlus (Accepted).
- Elvis D. Okoffo, Benedicta Y. Fosu-Mensah and Christopher Gordon (2016). Persistent organochlorine pesticide residues in cocoa beans from Ghana, a concern for public health. International Journal of Food contamination (Accepted).
- M. Adama, R. Esena, B. Fosu-Mensah, and D. Yirenya-Tawiah (2016). Heavy Metal Contamination of Soils around a Hospital Waste Incinerator Bottom Ash Dumps Site. Journal of Environmental and Public Health Volume 2016, Article ID 8926453, 1- 6 . http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/8926453
- Benedicta Yayra Fosu‑Mensah, Elvis Dartey Okoffo, Godfred Darko and Christopher Gordon (2016). Organophosphorus pesticide residues in soils and drinking water sources from cocoa producing areas in Ghana.Environmental system Research 5:10. DOI 10.1186/s40068-016-0063-4.
- Elvis Dartey Okoffo, Michael Mensah and Benedicta Yayra Fosu-Mensah (2016). Pesticides exposure and the use of Personal Protective Equipment by cocoa farmers in Ghana. Environmental system Research 5(17) 1-15. DOI 10.1186/s40068-016-0068-z
- Benedicta Y. Fosu-Mensah, Elvis D. Okoffo & Michael Mensah (2016). Synthetic Pyrethroids Pesticide Residues in Soils and Drinking Water Sources from Cocoa Farms in Ghana. Environment and Pollution; Vol. 5, No. 1
- Wahabu, B. Y. Fosu-Mensah & F. K. Nyame (2015). Impact of Charcoal Production on Physical and Chemical Properties of Soil in the Central Gonja District of the Northern Region, Ghana. Journal of Environment and Natural Resources Research; 5 (3) 11 - 18.
- Benedicta Y. Fosu-Mensah, Paul L. G. Vlek, Günther Manske & Michael Mensah (2015). The Influenece of Azolla pinnata on Floodwater Chemistry, Grain Yield and Nitrogen Uptake of Rice in Dano, Southwestern Burkina Faso. Journal of Agricultural Science; 7 (8) 118 - 130.
- Mensah M, Fosu-Mensah B. Y. and Yirenya-Tawiah. (2014). Assessing public perception on beach quality for Ecotourism development; A case study of Kokrobite beach in the Greater Accra Region, Ghana. Journal of Environment and Earth Science Vol. 4, No. 11. Pp 58 – 66.
- Fosu-Mensah, B., D. S. McCarthy, P. L. G. Vlek and E. Y. Safo. (2012). Simulating impact of seasonal climatic variation on the response of maize (Zea mays L.) to inorganic fertilizer in sub-humid Ghana. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems Journal, 94 (2): 255-271 Springer. Further Information: (DOI) 10.1007/s10705-012-9539-4
- Fosu-Mensah B. Y. (2012). Modeling maize (Zea mays) productivity and impact of climate change on yield and nutrient utilization in Sub-humid Ghana. Ecology and Development Series. No. 87. ISBN 978-3-940124-40-1. Further information: www.zef.de/fileadmin/webfiles/.../eds_87_fosu-mensah_abstract.pdf
- Fosu-Mensah B. Y., L. G. Vlek and D. S. McCarthy. (2012). Farmers’ perception and adaptation to climate change: a case study of Sekyedumase district in Ghana. Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer 14 (4): 495-505.
- McCarthy, D.S., P.L.G. Vlek and Y. Fosu-Mensah. (2012). The response of maize to N fertilization in a sub-humid region of Ghana: Understanding the processes using a crop simulation model. In: J. Kihara, D. Fatondji, J.W. Jones, G. Hoogenboom, R. Tabo and A. Bationo (eds.): Improving soil fertility recommendations in Africa using Decision Support System for Agrotechnology Transfer (DSSAT). Springer Dordrecht NL,
- Benedicta Y. Fosu-Mensah., Ahmad, M. Manschadi. and Paul L. G. Vlek. (2011). Climate change impact on maize yield and nutrients utilization in sub-humid zone of Ghana. Scenarios analysis using APSIM. CIMAC conference, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany, February 7 - 9, 2011. Further Information: https://risocas.uni hohenheim.de/uploads/media/Book_of_Abstracts_final.pdf
- Benedicta Fosu, Paul L. G. Vlek, Günther Manske, Konrad Vielhauer. (2006). The Use of Azolla sp. to Increase N Fertiliser Use Efficiency in Wetland Rice in Dano, Southwestern Burkina Faso. Deutscher Tropentag conference, 11 – 13th October 2006, Bonn,, Germany. Further information: tropentag.de/2006/abstracts/links/Vielhauer_95qpDD7S.pdf
- Dei H. K., Y. Fosu, E. O. Otchere. (2004). Processed Product from Cassava and Blood (PPCB); an alternative low cost feed for Broiler Chicken. Journal of Development Spectrum Vol. 2. Dec 2004, pp 58-67.
- Fosu-Mensah B. Y. (2013). Modelling the impact of climate change on maize (Zea mays) yield under rainfed condition in Sub-humid Ghana. UNU-INRA working paper No 1.
- Padgham, J., Abubakari, A., Ayivor, J., Dietrich, K., Fosu-Mensah, B., Gordon, C., Habtezion, S., Lawson, E., Mensah, A., Nukpezah, D., Ofori, B., Piltz, S., Sidibé, A., Sissoko, M., Totin, E., Traoré, S., Dazé, A. & Echeverría, D. (2015). Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in semi-arid areas in West Africa. ASSAR Working Paper.
- 601: Soil, Water and Air Quality
- 612: Forest Resource Management
- ESCI 701: Environmental management
- ESCI 702: Emerging Environmental Issues for the 21st century
- CCSD 605: Environmental sustainability and impact Evaluation