Year of Employment: 1996
Dr. Benjamin D. Ofori is a Human Geographer with research interest in Local Markets and Domestic Trade, Rural-Urban Linkages, Urbanisation, Management of Local Resources and Community Livelihood especially in dam-affected areas. He has been involved in several action oriented research activities within the Volta Basin and other extension projects aimed at addressing the challenges of communities and improving their livelihoods. He has been involved in design of sustainable waste management strategies for institutions and municipalities. He has experience in rural research methodologies and advocacy. He is a team player and has been collaborating with other researchers and officers in government and non-governmental institutions on many programmes. He has co-initiated a number rural livelihood support programmes for Heifer Project International and provided consultancy services for the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) on community participation in dam development. Dr. Ofori has been teaching graduate courses in Urbanisation, Population and Environmental Change, Urban Water and Sanitation, Sustainable Societies and Development, and Community Values and Environmental Stewardship. He has also been supervising graduate thesis and has a number of technical reports and peer reviewed articles in journals.
- 2003 – 2010 PhD, Geography and Resource Development, University of Ghana, Legon. Thesis: “A Geographical Study of Market Centres and Trading Activities along the Volta Lake”
- 1992 – 1996 MPhil, Geography and Resource Development (Rural Development) University of Ghana, Legon Thesis: “Problems and Prospects of Marketing Farm Produce in the Kwahu-North District of Ghana”
- 1985 – 1988 BA (Hons), Geography with Sociology University of Ghana, Legon
- Rural Resource Utilisation and Marketing, and Community Livelihoods, especially in Dam-affected Areas
Research Activities, Consultancy and Technical Reports
- EPA (2017) Ghana State of the Environment Report. Environmental Protection Agency, Ministry of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation, Accra. Member of Lead Authorship
- Padgham J., Abubakari, A., Ayivor, J., Dietrich, K., Gordon, C., Ofori, B., Fosu-Mensah, B., Habtezion, S., Lawson, E., Mensah, A., Sidibe., Sissoko, M., Totin, E., Traoré, S. (2015). Vulnerability and Adaptation to Climate Change in Semi-Arid Areas in West Africa Regional Diagnostic Studies Report. CARRIA, ASSAR., March 2015.
- The Resettlement Experience of Ghana Analysed via Case Studies of the Akosombo and Kpong Dams”. Paper presented at the 9th Annual Symposium on Poverty Research in Sri Lanka: Exploring Experiences of Resettlement, Nov. 2008. With Rachid-Sally, L., Akoto-Danso, E. K., Kalitsi E. A. and Koranteng K, R. T.
- Strategies for Community Participation in Dam Development (2008). Client: International Water Management Institute (IWMI), West Africa Regional Office, Accra.
- Global International Water Assessment (GIWA). Regional Assessments, Special Edition for the Pan African Implementation and Partnership Conference on Water (Dec. 2003). UNEP, GEF, KALMAR. et. Al
- Lower Volta Ducks Project (2000-2004). Client: Heifer Project International
- Integrated Management of the Volta Basin Project: Ghana Country Report (2002). Contributed to the report for GEF/UNDP/EPA/MEST.
- Lower Volta Environmental Impact Studies Reports:
- Lower Volta Environmental Impact Studies: ‘Special Report on Workshops, On-site Demonstration and Field Trials’, VBRP, Legon (2000)
- Environmental Degradation in the Volta Gorge North of Akosombo Dam: Dimensions and Recommended Mitigative Measures.MEST/VRA.VBRP Technical Rep. 1/98 (
- Lower Volta Environmental Impact Studies Status Report for Phase I (Agroecology): Submitted to VRA. VBRP Technical Rep. 1/97 (1996)
- Bilharzia Survey in the Ada area.VBRP Technical Rep. 1/97 (1997)
- Location, Population Size and Water Sources of Settlements in the Lower Volta Basin.Volta Basin Research Project (VBRP) Technical Report Technical Rep. 1/96 (1996)
Pipeline Research Project:
- Towards Effective Management of Local Markets for Improved Public Health and Poverty Reduction
- Charcoal Burning, Farming Activities and Environmental Degradation in the Afram Plains
List of journal publications from 2000 to date
- Ayivor, J. S., Ofori, B. D., Pabi, O., and Gordon, C (2017). Understanding the smallholder farmers’ crop production choices in the forest-savanna transition zone of Ghana. Science & Development. A journal of the College of Basic and Applied Science (CBAS), University of Ghana. Vol. 1, No. 1. Pp 14-26.
- Ofori, B. D. and Ayivor, J. S. (2017). Institutional Capacity and Management of The Volta Lake Shores and The Lower Volta River Channel. In Ntiamoah-Baidu, Y., Ampomah, B. Y., and Ofosu, E. A. (Eds). Dams, Development & Downstream Communities: Implications for Re-Optimising the Operations of The Akosombo and Kpong Dams in Ghana. pp. 321-337.
- Nukpezah, D., Pabi, O., Ofori, B. D., Ayivor, J. S. and Gordon, C. (2017). A Review of Environmental and Livelihood Flows of Dam Re-Operation and Re-Optimisation. In Ntiamoah-Baidu, Y., Ampomah, B. Y., and Ofosu, E. A. (Eds). Dams, Development & Downstream Communities: Implications for Re-Optimising the Operations of The Akosombo and Kpong Dams in Ghana. pp 137-151.
- Ayivor, J. S. and Ofori, B. D. (2017). Impacts of Hydrological Changes of The Volta River on Local Livelihoods: Lessons for Re-Operation and Re-Optimization of The Akosombo and Kpong Dams. In Ntiamoah-Baidu, Y., Ampomah, B. Y., and Ofosu, E. A. (Eds). Dams, Development & Downstream Communities: Implications for Re-Optimising The Operations of The Akosombo and Kpong Dams in Ghana. pp 63-89.
- Ofori, B. D., Ayivor, J. S., Pabi, O. Yirenya-Taiwiah, D. R., and Gordon, C. (2015). Agro-Diversity in the Forest-Savannah Transition Zone of Ghana: A Strategy for Food Security against Climatic and Socio-Economic Stressors
- Ofori, B. D., Ayivor, J. S., Pabi, O. and Gordon, C. (2015). Agroecological Niches as Ecosystem-Based Adaptive Option to Environmental Change in the Forest-Savanna Transition Zone of Ghana. Journal of Sustainable Development; Vol. 8, No. 9; 2015. ISSN 1913-9063 E-ISSN 1913-9071
- Nukpezah, D., Okine, H. A., Oteng-Ababio, M. Ofori, B. D. (2014). “Electronic waste risk assessment and management in Ghana”. In Gómez, J. M., Sonnenschein, M., Vogel, U., Winter, A., Rapp, B., Giesen, N., (Eds). Proceedings of the 28th EnviroInfo 2014 Conference, Oldenburg Germany. Sept 10-12. Pp 205-212.
- Ofori, B. D., Nukpezah, D., Ayivor, J. S., Lawson, E. T., and Gordon, C., (2014). Leadership, local knowledge and water management: Lessons from fringe communities of the Kogyae Strict Nature Reserve, Ghana. International Journal of Development and Sustainability. Volume 3 Number 2 (2014): Pp 353-370.
- Ofori, B. D and Asiedu, A. B. (2013). Hierarchy of Market Centres along the Volta Lake in Ghana: A Regional Development Framework. Journal of Geography and Regional Planning. Vol 6(8), pp 280-293.
- Ofori, B. D. (2012). Origin, Growth and Functions of Periodic Market Centres along the Volta Lake in Ghana". Ghana Social Science Journal. Vol 9, Number 1 pp. 44-70.)
- Ofori, B. D and Ayivor, J. S. (2013). Housing: Crumbling structures. Development and Cooperation (D+C) Volume 40, June 2013. N0. 6. Pp254-255
- Gordon, C., Nukpezah, D., Tweneboah-Lawson, E., Ofori, B. D., Yirenya-Tawiah, D., Pabi, O., Ayivor, J. S., Koranteng, S., Darko, D., Mensah, A. M. (2013). West Africa – Water Resources Vulnerability Using a Multidimentional Approach: Case Study of the Volta Basin. Climate Vulnerability. Volume 5., pp283-309.
- Ofori, B. D. (2012). “Effects of marketing and trading activities on the Volta Lake shore environment in Ghana”. Environment Development and Sustainability” Volume 14, Number 5. pp783–806, 2012
- Ofori, B. D, Vordzogbe, V. V., Addo, S., Amoah, C. M. (2008). “Overview of the Lagoon-Land Crab (Cardiosoma armatum) Industry in the Volta Delta”. In Amoah C. M., Adiku, S. G. K., Owusu, E. O. (Eds). “New Developments on Health, Agricultural Resources and Socio-economics in the Volta Basin”. Volta Basin Research Project, Univ. of Ghana.
- Addo, S., Vordzogbe, V. V., Ofori, B. D., Amoah, C. M. (2008). Assessment of Culture Trials of the Lagoon-Land Crab, Cardiosoma armatum, (Herklots, 1851) in the Lower Volta Basin. In Amoah C. M., Adiku, S. G. K., Owusu, E. O. (Eds). “New Developments on Health, Agricultural Resources and Socio-economics in the Volta Basin”. Volta Basin Research Project, Univ. of Ghana. 2008.
- Blay E. T., Ofori, B. D., Heloo, J., Ofori J. B., Nartey, E. (2004). “Agrodiversity within and without Conserved Forest for Enhancing Rural Livelihoods”. In: Gyasi E. A., Kranja-Berisavljevic, G., Blay, E. T., Oduro, W. (Eds). Managing Agrodiversity the Traditional Way: Lessons from West Africa in Sustainable use of Biodiversity and Related Natural Resources. United Nations University Press, Tokyo pp 203-216.
- 17.Ofori, B. D. and Birhanu T (2001). “Locational Pattern of Filling Stations in the Accra Metropolitan Area”. Bulletin of the Ghana Geographical Association., No. 23 pp 37-50
- Ofori, B. D. (2000) “Exploitation and Utilisation of Community-based Wetland Reeds and Sedges in the Changing Economy of the Lower Volta Basin”. Bulletin of the Ghana Geographical Association., No. 22 pp 90-100.
Teaching in last three years
- ESCI 706: Focus on Community
- FACS 702: Emerging Environmental Issues (Co-Instructor)
- FACS 701:Science and Society(Co-Instructor)
- ESCI 603: Human Population and Urbanization (Co-Instructor)
- CCSD 603:Climate Change Vulnerability Impacts And Adaptation (Co-Instructor)