Dr. Benedicta Yayra Fosu-Mensah is an Ecology and Natural Resources Management scientist technically competent in applying the latest research methods and tools in modelling environmental issues, food crops production and environmental quality analysis (pollution). She has 10 years’ experience in research, teaching, workshop facilitation, student supervision and mentoring. Dr. Fosu-Mensah authored several peer-reviewed journal publications and co-authored a number of book chapters. Her research interest areas are climate change impact assessment and adaptation, environmental quality assessment (environmental pollution), site specific nutrient management, Land-use / land-cover change, and sanitation. She has worked on several community based and regional research projects, some with local and International Institutions.
- Ph.D in Ecology and Natural Resource Management (Soil Science); University of Bonn, Germany and Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi.
- M. Sc. Agricultural Science and Resource Management in the Tropics and Subtropics (ARTS); University of Bonn, Germany.
- B.Sc. (Hons.) in Agricultural Technology; University for Development Studies, Tamale
- Climate change impact assessment, and adaptation
- Climate change and the urban poor
- Environmental quality assessment (heavy metal and pesticides pollution)
- Site Specific nutrient management
- Land-use / land-cover change on soil moisture, runoff and nutrients
Current Research Projects and Activities
- Associate, West Africa Regional Hub of the African Research Universities Alliance, Centre of Excellence in Climate and Development (ARUA-CD)
- Early warning system for climate change (CLIM-WARN); Partnership between UNDP and University of Ghana, implemented by IESS (2013 – 2015). Funded by German Government.
- Crude oil drilling: Onshore environmental impact assessment of the Jubilee oil field of the Western region of Ghana. Funded by ORID, University of Ghana (2014 – 2016).
- Re-optimizing of operations of the Akosombo and Kpong Dams on the Volta River in Ghana to restore downstream livelihood and ecosystem: A collaborative project with the National Heritage Institute (USA) and Ghana Water Resource Commission.- Funded by Africa Development Bank (2013 -2014).
- Development of National Sanitation Standards for Ghana. Funded by Ministry of Environment, Science, Innovation and Technology (MESIT) (2014)
- Utilization of Organic Waste for Improvement of Agricultural Productivity (UOWIAP). -Funded by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Netherlands, through NWO-WOTRO
Graduate Students supervision (M.Phil)
- Adigbli David Yao Mawuli: Canopy Disturbance Effects On Alien Plant Invasion in the Afram Headwaters Forest Reserve, Ghana: Ecological and Economic Implications (Ongoing).
- Otchere Jesus Christ: Environmental Effects Of Palm Oil And Coconut Oil Processing; A Study At Twifo Praso And Nyamedom In The Central Region (Ongoing).
- Agyapong Wireko : Assessment of the impact of land use / land cover changes and other socioeconomic activities on the quality of water of Lake Bosomtwe in the Ashanti Region (Ongoing).
List of Publications
Modelling maize (Zea mays L.) productivity and impact of climate change on yield and nutrient utilization in sub-humid Ghana. Ecology and Development Series Bd. 87. ISSN 1864-0443
- Mensah, M., Vlek, P. L., & Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2020). Gender and climate change linkages in the semi-arid region of Ghana. GeoJournal, 1-14.
- Fosu-Mensah, B.Y., Manchadi, A. and Vlek, P. L. G (2019). Impacts of climate change and climate variability on maize yield under rain fed conditions in the sub-humid zone of Ghana: A scenario analysis using APSIM. West Africa Journal of Ecology, Vol 27(1).
- Yirenya-Tawiah, D., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Gordon, C and Nukpezah Daniel (2017) Pubic health impact of Dam Re-optimisation and re-operation; the case of the lower Volta basin. Dams, Development and Downstream communities In: Ntiamoa-Baidu, Y., Ampomah, B. Y and Ofosu, E. A. (eds). implications for re-optimising the operations of the Akosombo and Kpong dams in Ghana. Digibooks Gh. Ltd., Tema, Ghana.
- MacCarthy, D. S., Vlek, P. L. G., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2012). The Response of Maize to N Fertilization in a Sub-humid Region of Ghana; Understanding the Processes using a Crop Simulation Model. In: J. Kihara, G. Hoogenboom and A. Bationo (eds.), Improving Soil Fertility Recommendation in Africa using Decision Support for Agro-technological Transfers (DS SAT), DOI 10, 1007/978 - 94 - 007 - 2960 - 5 - 5, Springer Science + Business Media B. V.
List of Peer Review Journal Articles
- Fosu-Mensah, B.Y., Manchadi, A and Vlek, P. L. G (2019). Impacts of climate change and climate variability on maize yield under rainfed conditions in the sub-humid zone of Ghana: A scenario analysis using APSIM. West Africa Journal of Ecology, vol 27(1).
- Adigbli, D. M., Anning, A. K., Adomako, J.s K., and Fosu-Mensah B. Y. (2018). Effects of Broussonetia papyrifera invasion and land use on vegetation characteristics in a tropical forest of Ghana. J. Forestry. Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11676-018.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y, Ofori, A., Ofosuhene, M., Ofori-Attah, E., Nunoo, F. K.E., Darko, G., Tuffour, I., Gordon, C., Arhinful, D. K., Nyarko, A. K. and Appiah-Opong, Regina (2018). Assessment of Heavy Metal Contamination and Distribution in Surface Soils and Plants along the West Coast of Ghana West Africa Journal of Ecology (SI).
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Addae, E., Yirenya-Tawiah, D. and Nyame F.(2017). Heavy metals concentration and distribution in soils and vegetation at Korle Lagoon area in Accra, Ghana., Cogent Environmental Science (3) 1405887. 1-14
- Abass, R., Mensah, A., & Fosu-Mensah, B. (2018). The Role of Formal and Informal Institutions in Smallholder Agricultural Adaptation: The Case of Lawra and Nandom Districts, Ghana. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 26(SI).
- Okoffo, E. D., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. and Gordon, C. (2017). Contamination levels of organophosphorus and synthetic pyrethroid pesticides in cocoa beans from Ghana. Food Control, 73 (2017) 1371-1378.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. and Mensah, M. (2016). The effect of phosphorus and nitrogen fertilizers on grain yield, nutrient uptake and use efficiency of two maize (Zea mays L.) varieties under rain fed condition on Haplic Lixisol in the forest-savannah transition zone of Ghana. Environmental Systems Research, 5 (22), 1- 17.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Okoffo., E. D., Darko, G. and Gordon, C. (2016b). Assessment of organochlorine pesticide residues in soils and drinking water sources from cocoa farms in Ghana. SpringerPlus, 5 (869), 1-13.
- Okoffo, E. D., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., and Gordon, C (2016a). Persistent organochlorine pesticide residues in cocoa beans from Ghana, a concern for public health. International Journal of Food Contamination, 3 (5), 1-11
- Okoffo, E. D., Denkyirah, E. K., Adu, D. T. and Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2016). A Double-Hurdle Model estimation of cocoa farmers’ willingness to pay for crop insurance in Ghana. SpringerPlus, 5 (873), 1-19.
- Adama, M. Esena, R. Fosu-Mensah, B. and Yirenya-Tawiah, D. (2016). Heavy Metal Contamination of Soils around a Hospital Waste Incinerator Bottom Ash Dumps Site. Journal of Environmental and Public Health, (2016), 1-6 Article ID.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Okoffo., E. D., Darko, G. and Gordon, C. (2016a). Organophosphorus pesticide residues in soils and drinking water sources from cocoa producing areas in Ghana. Environmental System Research, 5 (10), 1-12.
- Okoffo, E. D., Mensah, M. and Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. (2016). Pesticides exposure and the use of Personal Protective Equipment by cocoa farmers in Ghana. Environmental system Research, 5 (17), 1-15.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Okoffo, E. D. and Mensah, M. (2016). Synthetic Pyrethroids Pesticide Residues in Soils and Drinking Water Sources from Cocoa Farms in Ghana. Environment and Pollution, 5 (1), 60-72.
- Padgham, J.,Abubakari, A., Ayivor, J., Dietrich, K., Fosu-Mensah B., Gordon, C., Habtezion, S., Lawson, E., Mensah, A., Nukpezah, D., Ofori, B., Piltz, S., Sidibé, A., Sissoko, M., Totin, E., Traoré, S., Dazé, A., and Echeverría, D. (2015) Vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in the Semi-Arid Regions of West Africa. ASSAR working paper.
- Wahabu, S., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. and Nyame, F. K. (2015). Impact of Charcoal Production on Physical and Chemical Properties of Soil in the Central Gonja District of the Northern Region, Ghana. Journal of Environment and Natural Resources Research, 5 (3), 11 - 18.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Vlek, P. L. G., Günther, M. and Mensah M. (2015). The Influence of Azolla pinnataon Floodwater Chemistry, Grain Yield and Nitrogen Uptake of Rice in Dano, Southwestern Burkina Faso. Journal of Agricultural Science, 7 (8), 118 - 130.
- Mensah, M., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. and Yirenya-Tawiah, D. (2014). Assessing public perception on beach quality for Ecotourism development; A case study of Kokrobite beach in the Greater Accra Region, Ghana. Journal of Environment and Earth Science, 4 (11), 58 – 66.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., McCarthy, D. S. Vlek, P. L. G. and Safo, E. Y. (2012). Simulating impact of seasonal climatic variation on the response of maize (Zea mays L.) to inorganic fertilizer in sub-humid Ghana. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems Journal, 94 (2), 255-271.
- Fosu-Mensah, B. Y., Vlek, P. L. G., and MacCarthy, D. S. (2012). Farmers' Perception and Adaptation to Climate Change - A Case Study in Sekyedumase District in Ghana. 2012, Journal of Environment, Development and Sustainability, 14 (4), 495–505.
- Rafia Afroz, Rulia Akhtar, AZ Ibrahim, MM Alam, C Siwar, AH Jaafar, B Talib, KO Salleh, Siwar, B Talib, M Mokhtar, ME Toriman, B. Y Fosu-Mensah, et al (2012). Micro-level analysis of farmers adaptation to climate change in Southern Africa. Asian Journal of Agricultural Research, 11 (4) 130-135.
- Dei, H. K., Fosu, B. Y. Fordjour, G. E. and Otchere, O. (2002). Processed Product from Cassava and Blood (PPCB); an alternative low cost feed for Broiler Chickens. Development Spectrum, 2(1), 58-67.
- Aryee, A. A., Fosu-Mensah, B. Y. and Nukpezah, D. (2017). Aaron An assessment of heavy metals in contaminated surface soil at auto-mechanic workshops within the Accra metropolis, Ghana. Conference paper; Dialogue on Sustanibility and Environmental Management in Accra , Ghana. Feb.15-16 2017.
- ESCI 612: Forest Resource Management
- ESCI 701: Environmental management
- ESSC 602: Development and Sustainability
- ESSC 609: Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture
- ESCI 702: Emerging Environmental Issues for the 21st century
- CCSD 605: Environmental sustainability and impact Evaluation